Thursday, August 21, 2014

Our life in the middle of Detroit... Metro

Guys. I live 1,800 miles away from pretty much everyone I know (Utah, I'm talking to you). And obviously, you are all wondering what Jared and I are up to in the Great Green (for now - I give it 2 months) North. At least, I like to pretend you are. Ahh, the beauty of the internet! Because I have decided to keep people (family? You guys care, right?) updated about our little adventure here on 8 Mile Road just north of 8 Mile Road (don't worry, Grandma, we're in a good neighborhood).

So. Jared works for Williams International designing/testing jet engines. It is such a great job for him, and he learning so much. It also provides well enough for our family that I have been able to... not work. Be lazy? Do lots of crafts? Research house plants? Find a job I love. Which I thought I had done back in May. I interviewed and got a job at a Montessori preschool/daycare, and like, that's my scene, you know? Love me some little kids. Anyway, things haven't exactly worked out with that. They job they were hiring for was different then the job I thought they were advertising for, so after (haha) 3 months, we are going our separate ways. But not to worry! I'm working on finding a new job, and already have a pretty promising lead. In the mean time, I will spend my days watching HGTV and dreaming about hanging drywall.

Don't you worry, Detroit's not working us so hard we don't play. In fact, we probably play harder than we work. Just kidding. Guys, Jared is the hardest worker I know. And the hardest player. In the 8 months we have been here we have:

Visited 3 out of 13 Metroparks (go us!)
Taken 2 day trips to Ohio (no, not to see Elder Hancey)
Taken a fencing lesson
Taken a tango lesson
Seen a movie in the Redford Theater
Spent countless days at the beach
Gone to 2 different county fairs and a demolition derby
Bought a couch!
Adopted 2 houseplants named Kevin and Romeo.
Roller bladed 16+ miles
Gone on 2 different canoe trips
Gone to a National Hockey League game (go Red Wings!)
Gone to a Major League Baseball game (go Tigers!)
Seen one of the Detroit Pistons at Ihop.
Only replaced one tire... so far (fun fact: Michigan is the least funded state in the country as far as roads go).
Played outdoor shuffle board
Bowled at the oldest functioning bowling alley in the country.
Eaten 2 coney dogs
Visited Greenfield Village.

Okay, honestly, that list could go on and on. To say we are having the time of our lives would be an understatement. Michigan is beautiful! And there is so much to do! Most recently, we took a day trip to Niagara Falls. A day trip! We drove through Canada because that way was way faster. It was a pretty rainy day, but the falls were still beautiful! We even got to do the Hornblower (the boat that goes right up under Niagara Falls - like Maid of the Mist except the Canadian version). It was an incredible trip.


Standing in front of American Falls

                                                                     

Poncho Selfie

American Falls

Niagara Falls



So there you have it. Also, sorry about the list (I love lists). I'm going to try super hard to keep this bad boy updated, so hopefully there won't be more lists in our future together.




No comments:

Post a Comment