Tuesday, January 11, 2011

YOU had a bad day?!

   Normally, my life is pretty darn good. Even not normally, my life is pretty good (it makes sense if you don’t think about it too much). However, on those “not normally” days, I feel like my life is over and that giving up right then and there is the best option. Well today, a “not normally” day, I had an astounding epiphany. Allow me to explain.

·         I found out today that I didn’t get a job that I had applied and interviewed for.
·         I realized today how out of money I really am. People say that money doesn’t buy happiness... but if I had money, I would be pretty dang happy.
·         I noticed today that my car is nearly out of gas and because of my “out of money” realization, I can’t afford to fill it.
·         I forgot my wallet today when I went to the grocery store. All I needed was some milk and some toothpaste and I forgot my wallet.
·         I was told today that I have to wait until October to get my associates degree (which really isn’t that big of a deal – although, now I’m going to have to revise one of my resolutions…) and that it will cost money – money that I don’t have.

Okay, now on to the epiphany!

   I called my mom when I got back from the grocery store. I was upset and frustrated and stressed. I just didn’t know what to do. I was seriously ready to “give up right there and then”. My mother is much more level-headed than I am, and she told me repeatedly that everything was going to be okay and that I need to not “give up right then and there”. She gave me names of people to talk to about getting a job; she told me not to worry about the associate’s degree and that it doesn’t matter when it comes, just as long as it does; she offered to help me out financially until I get a job. Basically she saved me.

   Around 9:00 tonight, my roommate came in and told me that our friend’s mom had just passed away. I honestly felt guilty for thinking that my day had been so horrible. If I wasn’t able to talk to my mom today, I probably would’ve chopped all my hair off, slashed my own tires, and purposely started my apartment on fire – you know, like a “Wild Child!” I would’ve given up right then and there if she hadn’t been there to talk some sense in to me. I realize now that, no matter how bad my day was today – no matter how frustrated or stressed I was – other people are out there dealing with bigger, harder things than a dumb old empty gas tank and a belated associate’s degree. I don’t know about everyone else, but I’ve finally realized how much I take for granted – like a little bit of advice from my mom, or the peanut butter and honey that I can’t stop eating (not on a sandwich – just off of a butter knife. Delish!).

   Okay. That’s the end of my epiphany. I’m going to try real, real hard from here on out to stop taking things for granted. Maybe I should add that to my constantly increasing list of resolutions…

No comments:

Post a Comment