Thursday, December 8, 2011

I've got that scouting spirit!

To understand this, we must go back in time. To YESTERDAY (December 7, 2011)
1. I work at an autistic elementary school. I love my job, but yesterday was an extremely long day. There was a situation... "and now the fist are flying and the first guy picks up a brick (and you might want to zip up the pouch for this next part)" Don't worry, there were no bricks. But there were teeth... Anyway, it was just a long day.
2. I came home from work exhausted, and snuggled up with my computer and season 1 of How I Met Your Mother.
3. I fell asleep before the episode was even half way over.
4. My dad woke me up by coming in my bedroom and dancing around in his scout uniform.
5. "Where are you going, dad?"
    "To a court of honor, Ali."
6. I was suddenly running around my room trying to get ready for a court of honor.

Moral of this story? I LOVE scouting! And I especially love wearing my uniform. I know that lots of non-scouting folk think it's weird... but I don't care. I think it's wonderful!

Funny story: So I went with my dad to this court of honor last night. As we were walking into the building, one of the scouts said to me: "Hey! You worked in the store at Camp Loll! I remember you!" You have no idea how much joy that brought to my heart. After the court of honor (which was awesome, by the way), I made my dad go somewhere really public with me so everyone could see how awesome we looked (we seriously looked so awesome). We ended up at Albertson's (Fresh Market, whatevs). My dad thought I was super weird (he didn't think other people would think we looked awesome). Well, as we were walking toward the yogurt section of the store, this lady pushing a cart stopped as she was passing us and said: "I am so impressed!" My dad told her that I was on staff at a boy scout camp (like it somehow lessens the awesome-ness of my uniform), and she said: "Still, I am so impressed! I've NEVER seen a girl in a uniform like that!" I quickly informed her that I was, in fact, a registered Boy Scout of America, and then we were on our way to the yogurt once again. Don't you see? By going to Albertson's in my scout uniform, I changed the way a woman thought about scouting. Good story, huh?

Last night I came to this conclusion: If you could look this awesome every day of the entire summer, why on earth would you not work at a boy scout camp?

And now, to support the vanity of this post...
The one on the bottom, that's my little brother. He's just funny.

No comments:

Post a Comment